How to Size Your Closet Accurately: The Basics
July 22, 2016 | Measurement Tips
Is there truth in the saying ‘Measure twice, cut once”? Customizing a closet can be intimidating for many because of the measurements.
Check out 7 general guidelines to help you size your closet accurately:
- A clothes closet should have a minimum depth of 24 inches deep, so clothes can clear the back wall
- Shelves for women’s shoes should be spaced 6 to 7 inches apart
- Shelves for folded clothes should be about 12 inches apart
- 84 inches is the minimum height to hold double hanging rods
- Blouses/skirts take up 1 inch of rod space
- Pants and dresses consume 1 ¼” of rod space
- Jackets and suits utilize 2 to 3 inches
Bonus Tip: When measuring your closet, find a partner willing to hold the measuring tape to ensure accurate measurements.